- The Young Composers Initiative 2018 (YCI 2018) is open to Canadian composers who are Canadian residents and will be 16 years of age or younger on June 3rd 2018.
- Each contestant may submit one (1) original composition of their own to the YCI 2018 for consideration.
- Any work submitted must not have received a previous public performance.
- Any work submitted must never have won any placement in any other competition.
- Each entrant must make every compositional decision and actually write the notes of any work submitted. Their teachers may serve as mentors and assist in the technological and logistical aspects of preparing and sending submissions only.
- Teachers may not edit or arrange the work submitted.
- Works submitted must be less than 5 minutes in length.
- Works should be for an amateur ensemble comprised of as few as any three orchestral string instruments as normally found in a string orchestra or of up to 5 parts (plus divisi parts if required) as in traditional string orchestra writing (i.e. Violin 1, Violin 2, Viola, Cello, String Bass). A percussion part may also be part of the entry if the composer wishes.
- Works will be assessed by a panel made up of the Strings Attached Orchestra’s Conductor, the SAO President and one orchestra member who is not on the SAO Board of Directors. Two additional panel members whose main interest is in the area of strings education and/or music composition may be appointed by the SAO board.
- An Assessment Panel will determine the ranking of submissions based on the following criteria: 1) Intrinsic artistic value. 2) The playability of the work by an amateur ensemble. 3) The skill and creativity exhibited by the composer. 4) The suitability of the work for performance for typical SAO audiences.
(Past SAO programmes can be found at www.stringsattachedorchestra.com/hear-us-play/performance-videos/ )
- One submission will be declared the winner and awarded a performance at the SAO 2018 season’s Year End Concert on June 3, 2018. Two runners-up will be declared. The first place winner will receive a prize of $150, the 2nd place winner will receive a prize of $75 and the 3rd place winner will receive a prize of $25, courtesy of Geo. Heinl & Co. If circumstances warrant and allow for it, the first runner-up submission may also be performed at an SAO concert. Of the entries not being cited in the top three finalists, any number of other entries may be cited as “Honourable Mentions”. Any decision of the panel is final. The panel may determine that there is not a winner of the SAO YCI 2018.
- An Online Submission Form indicating intent to participate must be received by no later than 12 o’clock noon (EST) on March 1st 2018.
- Following receipt of the Online Submission Form a link to a dropbox folder will be sent to the entrant. All files submitted by the entrant must be uploaded to this dropbox folder.
- To be eligible a submission must include all of the following:
- an online submission form
- pdf files of the full score and of each of the parts,
- an audio file of the composition in .wav, mp3, .aiff or other format
- a contestant entry form signed by the entrant, the entrant’s parent or guardian and the entrant’s teacher/mentor,
- proof of age and
- an original composition testimonial form.
- All parts of the submission must be received by SAO no later than midnight (EST) on March 18, 2018.
- As part of the submission, entrants must upload a full score and each of the parts in pdf format.
- In addition to the pdf files above, an audio file of the composition in .mp3, .wav, .wma, .aiff, .aifc or other standard audio format will be required as part of the submission and must be uploaded to the dropbox folder. Audio files generated by midi files or software are acceptable but must be exact renderings of the actual submission.
- A signed Contestant Entry Form must be digitally scanned and submitted by uploading it to the dropbox folder. The original form must be kept by the contestant and may be requested by SAO at a future date. If an original form is requested by SAO and the contestant is not able to produce this form then the entry may be disqualified at SAO’s sole discretion.
- A digital copy of the entrant’s birth certificate or other proof of age must be uploaded to the dropbox folder. Winning entrants may be asked to show their original documents.
- An Original Composition Testimonial Form must be completed by the entrant’s teacher, mentor or guardian and a digital copy must be emailed directly by the teacher, mentor or guardian to email@example.com with the subject line YCI2018 – <Contestant’s Name> – Teacher Testimonial. The original forms must be kept either by the teacher or by the entrant and may be requested by SAO at a future date. If an original form is requested by SAO and the contestant is not able to produce this form then the entry may be disqualified at SAO’s sole discretion.
- The Contestant Entry Form and the Original Composition Testimonial Form can be downloaded in pdf form. A pdf copy of the Complete Rules and Regulations as well as other detailed information can also be downloaded at the same link.
- All parts of the entry documents must be fully completed and submitted to the Strings Attached Orchestra by midnight (EST) March 18, 2018.
- Incomplete submissions – Any incomplete submission received before March 18th, 2018 may be returned by the SAO to the entrant to complete and re-submit if there is sufficient time for the SAO to return it. The SAO makes no guarantee in any form that incomplete entries will be returned in time for re-submission. Any online submission which is not fully completed by March 18, 2018 may be disqualified without notice.
- The winner or winners will be notified by email on or shortly after May 1, 2018. All entries received on or before March 17th, 2018 will receive an email acknowledging receipt of completed submission.
- The Strings Attached Orchestra is not responsible for entries lost in transmission or delayed due to technical or internet difficulties.
- By entering a composition into the SAO Young Composers Initiative 2018, the composer(s) of the composition(s) submitted agree(s) to permit the non-exclusive use of this or these compositions in SAO live performances or in electronic distribution for a period of two (2) years after the date of that year’s competition after which the SAO relinquishes any and all claims to rights to the composition(s). Winners of first, second or third prize competitions agree to allow non-exclusive use of their submission by the SAO in live performance or electronic distribution in perpetuity.
- By entering a composition into the SAO Young Composers Initiative 2018, the composer of any composition(s) which are performed in concert by the SAO agree to allow the use of the video recording for archival purposes on the SAO website and on YouTube in perpetuity. The composer will retain all other rights not otherwise mentioned in these rules.
- By entering a composition into the SAO Young Composers Initiative 2018, the composer of any composition that is performed by the SAO in concert agrees to grant permission to the SAO to use the composer’s name, the title of the composition, and the composition in the SAO’s publicity and marketing.
- The SAO will not knowingly distribute any submission or part thereof in any way other than for the purposes of the work of the SAO YCI 2018 assessment panel.
Please Note: These rules and regulations may be subject to minor revision or changes.
Submission Details and Checklist